Information for Physicians
Referral is only necessary for an assessment. Referral is not required to access support groups, workshops, and other services.
The Eating Disorder Inventory-3 (EDI-3) is an assessment tool that was developed by David M. Garner, PhD. The inventory consists of 91 questions that assess the psychological and behavioural traits associated with eating disorders - specifically Anorexia Nervosa (both restrictive and binge-purge sub-types), Bulimia Nervosa and Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified.
The EDI-3 may be used to assess:
- Individuals aged 13 and older (though it can potentially be used for someone as young as 11).
- Clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds/countries of origin (it has been tested in Canada, the US, various European Countries, and Australia).
The client typically spends about 1 hour with a clinician and the assessment itself usually takes less than a 1/2 hour for a client to complete. A report is then prepared by the clinician outlining the severity of symptomatology, based upon the client's EDI-3 results, the weigh-in and time spent with the client.
The completed report is sent to the referring physician. The results can then be discussed with the client/patient and can:
- indicate severity of symptoms or risk
- open the discussion in relation to appropriate next-steps and treatment options
- serve as a "reality check" - the assessment itself is an intervention that may assist in disrupting denial and moving someone towards a path of recovery.
Note: With signed consent, the referring physician may contact the EDI-3 assessment clinician for a telephone conversation, within 60 days of the report date.
EATING DISORDER ASSESSMENT INFORMATION FOR PHYSICIANS:
Physicians' Referral Information. *IMPORTANT: Please call and leave a message at 905-886-6632 after you fax in a referral.
EDI-3 Assessment Referral Form.
EATING DISORDER MANUAL FOR HEALTHCARE PHYSICIANS
Non-medical assessments (EDI-3) are available with a family physician's referral. Please note the EDI-3 assessment does not provide a diagnosis and is not therapy. A fee of $250.00 applies.
After your assessment appointment has been scheduled, please click the payment button to pay the $250.00 fee on-line